» 1944-1946 The Association of the Christian Day School of Camden County was organized after Dr. Cornelius Van Til spoke to a small group of interested Christians about the significance of centering education on the Word of God. The group pooled their resources and prayerfully began a partnership that forged the Christian school that today is known as The King's Christian School.
» 1946-1947 During the opening school year, twenty-six students were enrolled in grades 1-3. Classes met in the facilities of Immanuel Presbyterian Church in West Collingswood. By the 1948-49 school year enrollment had grown to seventy and the grade levels had expanded to include 4th-6th. Some of the additional grades were housed in the Fairview Community Baptist Church.
» 1947 The first principal, Miss Betty Blakemore, was appointed. She also taught grades 1 and 2. Board president, Rev. Edward Kellogg, presented the school's Constitution, noting "The basis of this school is the infallible Word of God. What an enduring foundation! If the school continues on such a foundation it will long endure to the glory of Almighty God."
» 1949 School enrollment continued to increase; additional classes were added at the Mount Calvary Union Church in Runnemede and the Orthodox Presbyterian Church in Bellmawr. The school bus stopped at each of the several church locations to deliver students for the specific grade levels housed there.
» 1951-1952 Property, once belonging to the second mayor of Haddon Heights at 800 West Kings Highway was purchased. School families worked together to refurbish the house and grounds to accommodate grades 1-9. Enrollment was now 145. Thirty-five churches were represented by the school family. The first graduation took place at Haddon Heights Baptist Church.
» 1952 The Parent-Teacher-Fellowship was formed. The Board charged the PTF to focus on the significance of Christian education and on building strong school and home partnerships, particularly regarding discipline and schoolwork.
» 1960 Eleven weekly prayer groups were formed in the homes of school families. These were in addition to the early morning men's prayer meeting that met twice each month. A Sunday afternoon prayer meeting was added later on.
» 1962 Kindergarten was added to the school. Classes met in the Haddon Heights Baptist Church. School enrollment was recorded at 232.
» 1970 A modern two-story classroom building was constructed on the Haddon Heights property along Kings Highway. The original house was razed. School families worked together to provide funds. Loose change banks "Buy a Brick" projects were very effective in getting the students involved. School families saved costs by volunteering skills, time and labor.
» 1972 The annex property at 18 Eighth Avenue in Haddon Heights was purchased to allow for future expansion. This building housed the Administrative Offices and the KinderPlay. KinderPlay was a half day developmental play program that is optional for kindergarten families needing their children in school all day. A growing enrollment also prompted the school to house some elementary grades at Haddon Heights Baptist Church.
» 1974 A satellite campus was established in the facilities of Easton Union Church in Hainesport. This campus continued until 1992 and housed a peak enrollment of more than 170 students.
» 1975 A Learning Center Program was established to provide educational assistance for students who had special needs.
» 1979 The elementary school was accredited by the Association of Christian Schools International and then in 1980 by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. The school was one of the first elementary schools accredited by these agencies. Some grade levels were now being housed at Grace Bible Church in Barrington.
» 1980 The school expanded to high school. The school's name was changed to The King's Christian School.
» 1981 The growing high school was housed at a Moorestown Public School on New Albany Road.
» 1983 The high school was relocated to the Barclay Public School in Cherry Hill. The first class of seniors was graduated in 1984.
» 1987 An addition was built onto the Haddon Heights classroom, and included an all-purpose room/gym, a library, a small amphitheater and offices. The playground was reconfigured; and, in 1994 modern playground equipment was installed by school parents working together.
» 1990 H.O.P.E. "Helping Other People Everyday" a volunteer organization of parents was formed to raise funds to provide tuition assistance for school families. Activities include benefit concerts, yard sales, walk-a-thons and similar events.
» 1992 A shuttle bus system was established in Cinnaminson, Hainesport, Cherry Hill and Haddon Heights to assist families with transportation. A computer lab and an improved science lab were established in the growing middle/high school.
» 1995-1996 Enrollment reached 550 students, with half of the student body enrolled in the elementary school and half in the middle/high school. A Strategic Planning Initiative, "TKCS 2000", was launched. Many parents, Board members and staff worked together to develop a plan that encompassed Spiritual Life, Facilities, Technology/Curriculum, Promotion/Growth and Finances. One of the primary initiatives is to secure a permanent location for the middle/high school.
» 1999-2003 The school facilities of Sacred Heart RC Church in Mt. Ephraim, NJ were leased to provide a place for the middle/high school.
» 2001-2003 The facility at 5 Carnegie Plaza in Cherry Hill, NJ was leased and then purchased. During the Spring and Summer of '03 the facility was renovated to house the middle/high school beginning with the 2003-2004 school year. This facility is expandable and should provide for the future as well as the present.
» 2005 The Elementary campus in Haddon Heights was sold and all students Pre-K through12 were consolidated on our Cherry Hill campus.
» 2006-2007 Construction work began in the warehouse area on our Cherry Hill campus to build our new elementary classrooms and was completed in time for the start of the 2006-07 school year. On November 5th, 2006 we held a dedication service for the new pre-school and elementary wing along with the new practice gym.
» 2009 TKCS was recognized as one of the 50 best private schools in the Philadelphia region (one of only four New Jersey schools to be so recognized) for the second time in five years. Also during this year, TKCS launched Global Impact, its new International Student program, to reach the world for Christ through intercultural education.
» 2010 TKCS partnered with Paladin Solar and SolarMax to complete a 600kW solar energy project. As a result, TKCS now generates almost 95% of it's electrical needs through solar energy, has a comprehensive recycling program, and is a member of Sustainable Cherry Hill.
» 2013 A full-time athletic director is hired to build the school's competitive sports program. The PLAY FOR ME Foundation selects TKCS to be the recipient of new musical instruments to enhance the school's musical program. New HVAC units and more efficient lighting is installed throughout the building through a partnership with PSE&G.
Updated: January 6, 2015